Cert HE BA (Hons)
Sept 23 / Jan 24 / Apr 24
*In line with the UA92 Contextual Admissions Policy, UA92 can accept below the 104 UCAS Points stated above. Alternatively, we have alternate course options that we can discuss with you.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
The Sports Coaching accelerated degree course will expose you to a range of contemporary theoretical and practical coaching elements, including psychology, session design, coaching pedagogy and practice. You will develop the knowledge to deliver appropriate coaching activities and learn how to coach others towards specific improvements.
As a graduate, you will be prepared for a fulfilling career in Sports Coaching and help others achieve their potential. Some of the typical contexts in which coaches operate; include schools, physical activity settings, governing bodies and professional sporting organisations.
You will also:
- Understand coaching theories and approaches that will help you deliver appropriate coaching activities across a variety of domains.
- Explore a range of sports science disciplines, including psychology, within sport performance and health based settings.
- Learn how to coach others toward; specific improvements, through rehabilitation or injury prevention strategies, and/or lifestyle enhancements.
- Explore the typical contexts in which coaches operate, including schools, physical activity settings, governing bodies, and professional sporting organisations.
- Identify, analyse and feedback on the contemporary issues within Sport whilst developing your industry awareness and relevance within the field of Sports Coaching.
- Understand the workings of the human body (e.g., skeletal, muscular, nervous and cardio-respiratory system) and gain hands on experience with specialist equipment in well-equipped facilities.
Level 4 of this course is recognised as a Higher Technical Qualification approved by the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
HOW WILL YOU LEARN IT?
You will gain a solid foundation for your chosen career path, with a strong focus on providing practically applicable skills that employers within the industry need and value. With both academic and practical experience, you will be prepared to unlock your future career aspirations.
- Develop your understanding of the role and benefit of technology through use of our specialist multipurpose teaching zones (e.g., Performance Hub) and partner facilities.
- Your theoretical understanding will be enhanced by opportunities to learn, develop and demonstrate a wide range of applied skills and competencies.
- You’ll work closely with our industry partners such as Manchester United and Salford City FC, who provide guest sessions, industry-based insight days and placements to UA92 students.
- No traditional end-of-year exams. Assessments will be practical and competency-based where possible* including individual and group work in a range of formats such as case studies, essays, reports, literature reviews, reflective logs and diaries, self and peer evaluations, audio/visual projects and presentations.
DEVELOP MORE THAN SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
UA92 provides you with more than just a degree, we aim to prepare you for life. Each academic year, in addition to your four subject modules, you’ll study an extra credit-bearing module, which focuses entirely on character and personal development.
- Take on a real-life project, based on a live scenario, set by one of our industry partners.
- Experience first-hand the current issues facing the industry.
- Develop transferable skills and key competencies such as leadership, resilience and well-being, communication, problem-solving and team-working.
- Meet regularly with your own personal development coach.
HOW WILL YOU STUDY?
As a student on the two-year, accelerated degree course your academic year is split into six blocks. Each study block is six weeks long, therefore your course will be delivered over a total of 36 weeks per year.
- In each block you will study just 1 subject module, allowing you to focus your learning. You’ll study topics in depth, often working in small groups with academic experts and advanced practitioners.
- We offer a straightforward AM/PM timetable. If you are a morning student your classes will be from 9am-1pm every weekday except Wednesdays. Afternoon students, classes will be from 2pm-6pm.
- Digital Wednesdays are your time to catch up on independent learning, assignments, projects or play for your UA92 sports team.
Introduction to Sports and Exercise Psychology
Introduction to Coaching Theory and Practice
Coaching Active Lifestyles
Introduction to Session Design
Science and Practice of Coaching
Sports and Exercise Psychology
Analysis of Performance
Professional Development of Coaching 1
Strength and Conditioning
Professional Development of Coaching 2
Contemporary Issues in Sports
Level 3 Entry Requirements (Degrees and Accelerated)
UCAS Points: 104
A Levels: BCC (104 equivalent)
BTEC National Extended Diploma: DMM
BTEC Diploma: D*D
T Levels: M
Scottish Advanced Highers: AB
IB: 28 points with 14 from Higher Level Subjects
IELTS: Overall score of 6.0, with no section lower than 5.5
Level 2 Entry Requirements (Degrees and Accelerated)
All degrees, other than those listed below*: 5 GCSEs at Grade C/4 or above including English Language
Accepted Alternatives: Functional Skills Level 2 (English and Maths)
*BSc (Hons) Computer Science: Maths at Grade C/4 must be one of the 5 GCSEs *BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance: Maths at Grade C/4 must be one of the 5 GCSEs *BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science: Maths at Grade C/4 must be one of the 5 GCSEs. *Please note, that if accepted onto this programme of study, students will need to complete and secure an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) application.