Bsc (Hons) Accelerated
Sept / Jan / Apr
*In line with the UA92 Contextual Admissions Policy, UA92 can accept below the 104 UCAS Points stated above. Alternatively, we have alternate course options that we can discuss with you.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
The Cyber Security BSc (Hons) degree course will equip you with the knowledge and skills to work with and implement cyber security polices, technologies and solutions.
Cyber Security is one of the fastest growing sectors in the digital space. With an increased risk of cyber threats on businesses and systems across the world, there is big demand for Cyber Security professionals. You will have the flexibility to apply skills and knowledge across a range of industries, such as IT/Communications, Banking, Retail, Utilities, Travel, Healthcare and Manufacturing. Potential future career paths include digital forensics, cyber security management, penetration testing, secure system design and development, data protection and privacy or cryptography and communications security.
What you will learn
By building your skills in front and back-end development and software design, you will begin to understand the standards and technologies used within industry to build secure systems. The range of modules covered in this course will give you a broad range of skills that will enable you to evaluate risks, mitigate threats and recover from systems breaches. As a Cyber Security professional, you’ll need to understand the social, legal and ethical concerns when operating in this framework.
- Understand the nature of cyber-crime and the importance of Cyber Threat Intelligence (CTI).
- Learn about operating systems and their similarities and differences.
- Begin to formulate risk management and mitigation strategies using real-world scenarios.
- Find out how to write robust code and integrate systems securely.
- Get to grips with Network security.
HOW WILL YOU LEARN IT?
By studying the Cyber Security accelerated degree course, you will gain a solid foundation for your chosen career path. There’s a strong focus on providing practically applicable skills that employers within the industry need and value. Also, with both academic and practical experience, you will be prepared to unlock your future career aspirations.
- Your theoretical understanding will be enhanced by opportunities to learn, develop and demonstrate a wide range of practical and applied skills and competencies.
- You’ll work closely with our industry partners such as Microsoft in order to gain a full insight into the digital working environment. Microsoft also provide mentorship to students and online sessions, with other partners including TalkTalk and KPMG getting involved too with guest lectures.
- No traditional end-of-year exams. Assessments will be practical and competency-based where possible* including individual and group work in a range of formats such as case studies, essays, reports, literature reviews, reflective logs and diaries, self and peer evaluations, audio/visual projects and presentations.
DEVELOP MORE THAN SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
UA92 provides you with more than just a degree, we aim to prepare you for life. Each academic year, in addition to your six subject modules, you’ll study an extra credit-bearing module, which focuses entirely on character and personal development.
- Take on a real-life project, based on a live scenario, set by one of our industry partners.
- Experience first-hand the current issues facing the industry
- Develop transferable skills and key competencies such as leadership, resilience and well-being, communication, problem-solving and team-working.
- Meet regularly with your own personal development coach.
HOW WILL YOU STUDY?
As a student on the two-year, Cyber Security Accelerated Degree course your academic year is split into six blocks. Each study block is six weeks long, therefore your course will be delivered over a total of 36 weeks per year.
- In each block you will study just 1 subject module, allowing you to focus your learning. You’ll study topics in depth, often working in small groups with academic experts and advanced practitioners.
- We offer a straightforward AM/PM timetable. If you are a morning student your classes will be from 9am-1pm every weekday except Wednesdays. Afternoon students, classes will be from 2pm-6pm.
- Digital Wednesdays are your time to catch up on independent learning, assignments, projects or play for your UA92 sports team.
Year 1 (Level 4)
Front End Development
Year 2 - Level 5 modules
Cyber Security and Risk
Year 3 - Level 6 modules
Global Intelligent Systems
Human Elements of System Design
Contemporary Issues in Computer Science
Level 3 Entry Requirements (Degrees and Accelerated)
UCAS Points: 104
A Levels: BCC (104 equivalent)
BTEC National Extended Diploma: DMM
BTEC Diploma: D*D
T Levels: M
Scottish Advanced Highers: AB
IB: 28 points with 14 from Higher Level Subjects
IELTS: Overall score of 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5
Level 2 Entry Requirements (Degrees and Accelerated)
All degrees, other than those listed below*: 5 GCSEs at Grade C/4 or above including English Language
Accepted Alternatives: Functional Skills Level 2 (English and Maths)
*BSc (Hons) Cyber Security: Maths at Grade C/4 must be one of the 5 GCSEs *BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance: Maths at Grade C/4 must be one of the 5 GCSEs *BSc (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science: Maths at Grade C/4 must be one of the 5 GCSEs
Aged 19+ and Returning to Education?
Some qualifications do not carry UCAS Tariff points but may still be considered. We take into account a range of qualifications and work/life experience that can demonstrate your ability to succeed on the course. Each application is assessed on an individual basis, taking into consideration a wide range of factors.
Find out about our free 2-week course that will boost your confidence and help you prepare to return to higher education.
BASED AT OUR OLD TRAFFORD CAMPUS
Old Trafford Campus
This is where our story began, back in 2019. The UA92 Campus is in the heart of Old Trafford, Manchester. Inside there’s a fully equipped Sports Performance Centre, Media Studio and Digital Academy. The tram stop is a 1 minute walk, which gets you into the heart of Manchester city-centre in under 10 minutes.
UA92 Old Trafford Campus
Brian Statham Way