BA (Hons) Accelerated
Sept 23 / Jan 24 / Apr 24
*In line with the UA92 Contextual Admissions Policy, UA92 can accept below the 104 UCAS Points stated above. Alternatively, we have alternate course options that we can discuss with you.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
This course will prepare you for a career in various media roles within the sports industry; whether your dream job is in broadcasting, marketing, social media, content creation, public relations or advertising. Studying core media modules, with specific focus on the sports sector and with an emphasis on production techniques, you will gain the key creative skills and practical expertise to plan, create and reflect on the digital communications that are the lifeblood of contemporary society.
- Explore the societal impacts of mass and social media – how these powerful industries influence, manipulate and inspire change.
- Develop your video and audio production skills; working in a small group to create sophisticated media content.
- Explore the legal, ethical and regulatory debates that underpin the media and communication industries and develop your understanding of the relevant laws, regulations and professional codes of conduct
- Understand how different organisations use media and communications tools to create forms of individual and collective persuasion.
- Become a critically informed and highly reflexive media practitioner.
HOW WILL YOU LEARN IT?
You will gain a solid foundation for your chosen career path, with a strong focus on providing practically applicable skills that employers within the industry need and value. With both academic and practical experience, you will be prepared to unlock your future career aspirations.
- Develop practical broadcasting and production skills through the use of our specialist teaching zones (e.g. Media Lab and Podcasting booths).
- Your theoretical understanding will be enhanced by opportunities to learn, develop and demonstrate a wide range of practical and applied skills and competencies.
- You’ll work closely with our network of industry partners, who provide guest sessions, industry-based insight days and placements to UA92 students. Speakers include guests from the BBC, SKY, Reach and many more.
- No traditional end-of-year exams. Assessments will be practical and competency-based where possible* including individual and group work in a range of formats such podcasts, reports, audio and visual projects and presentations.
DEVELOP MORE THAN SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
UA92 provides you with more than just a degree, we aim to prepare you for life. Each academic year, in addition to your four subject modules, you’ll study an extra credit-bearing module, which focuses entirely on character and personal development.
- Take on a real-life project, based on a live scenario, set by one of our industry partners.
- Experience first-hand the current issues facing the industry
- Develop transferable skills and key competencies such as leadership, resilience and well-being, communication, problem-solving and team-working.
- Meet regularly with your own personal development coach.
HOW WILL YOU STUDY?
As a student on the two-year, accelerated degree course your academic year is split into six blocks. Each study block is six weeks long, therefore your course will be delivered over a total of 36 weeks per year.
- In each block you will study just 1 subject module, allowing you to focus your learning. You’ll study topics in depth, often working in small groups with academic experts and advanced practitioners.
- We offer a straightforward AM/PM timetable. If you are a morning student your classes will be from 9am-1pm every weekday except Wednesdays. Afternoon students, classes will be from 2pm-6pm.
- Digital Wednesdays are your time to catch up on independent learning, assignments, projects or play for your UA92 sports team.
Level 4 modules
Media, Technology and Culture
Communication Techniques and Creating Content
Sports Media and Public Relations
Level 5 modules
Politics, Power and Communication
Audio and Video Production
Integrated Sports Marketing Communication
Level 6 modules
Media Law and Ethics
Advanced Sports Marketing
Media and Communications Professional Practice
Level 3 Entry Requirements (Degrees and Accelerated)
UCAS Points: 104
A Levels: BCC (104 equivalent)
BTEC National Extended Diploma: DMM
BTEC Diploma: D*D
T Levels: M
Scottish Advanced Highers: AB
IB: 28 points with 14 from Higher Level Subjects
IELTS: Overall score of 6.0, with no section lower than 5.5
Level 2 Entry Requirements (Degrees and Accelerated)
All degrees, other than those listed below*: 5 GCSEs at Grade C/4 or above including English Language
Accepted Alternatives: Functional Skills Level 2 (English and Maths)