Apply now to start your studies in 2023. Call 0300 131 9292.
Sept / Nov / Jan / Feb / Apr / Jun
2023/24 / 2024/25
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
The Sports Coaching Cert HE is recognised as a Higher Technical Qualification approved by the Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education.
This course will expose you to a range of contemporary theoretical and practical coaching elements, including session design and sports psychology.
Some of the typical contexts in which coaches operate; include schools, physical activity settings, governing bodies and professional sporting organisations.
- Explore coaching theories and approaches that will help you to deliver appropriate coaching activities across a variety of domains.
- Gain insights into the processes involved in working in health, education and sporting settings, alongside the legal requirement and techniques for engaging and inspiring a diverse range of participants.
- Understand the workings of the human body (e.g., skeletal, muscular, nervous and cardio-respiratory system) and gain hands on experience with specialist equipment in well-equipped facilities.
HOW WILL YOU LEARN IT?
You will gain a solid foundation for your chosen career path, with a strong focus on providing practically applicable skills that employers within the industry need and value. With both academic and practical experience, you will be prepared to unlock your future career aspirations.
- Develop your understanding of the role and benefit of technology through use of our specialist multipurpose teaching zones (e.g., Performance Hub) and partner facilities.
- Your theoretical understanding will be enhanced by opportunities to learn, develop and demonstrate a wide range of applied skills and competencies.
- You’ll work closely with our industry partners such as Manchester United and Salford City FC, who provide guest sessions, industry-based insight days and placements to UA92 students.
- No traditional end-of-year exams. Assessments will be practical and competency-based where possible* including individual and group work in a range of formats such as case studies, essays, reports, literature reviews, reflective logs and diaries, self and peer evaluations, audio/visual projects and presentations.
DEVELOP MORE THAN SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
UA92 provides you with more than just a degree, we aim to prepare you for life. In addition to your four subject modules, you’ll study an extra credit-bearing module, which focuses entirely on character and personal development.
- Take on a real-life project, based on a live scenario, set by one of our industry partners.
- Develop transferable skills and key competencies.
- Meet regularly with your own personal development coach.
HOW WILL YOU STUDY?
As a student on the one-year, Cert HE course, your academic year is split into six blocks of which you will study for four. Each study block is six weeks long, therefore your course will be delivered over a total of 24 weeks.
- In each block you will study just 1 subject module, allowing you to focus your learning. You’ll study topics in depth, often working in small groups with academic experts and advanced practitioners.
- We offer a straightforward AM/PM timetable. If you are a morning student your classes will be from 9am-1pm every weekday except Wednesdays. Afternoon students, classes will be from 2pm-6pm.
- Digital Wednesdays are your time to catch up on independent learning, assignments, projects or play for your UA92 sports team.
Introduction to Sports and Exercise Psychology
Introduction to Coaching Theory and Practice
Coaching Active Lifestyles
Introduction to Session Design
Level 3 Entry Requirements (CertHEs)
UCAS Points: 64
A Levels: CC (64 equivalent)
BTEC National Extended Diploma: MPP
BTEC Diploma: MM
T Levels: P (C+)
Scottish Advanced Highers: DD
IB: 24 points with 14 from Higher Level Subjects
IELTS: Overall score of 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5
Level 2 Entry Requirements (CertHEs)
All CertHEs, other than those listed below*: 2 GCSEs at Grade C/ 4 or above including English Language
Accepted Alternatives: Functional Skills Level 2 (English and Maths)
*CertHE Software Development: Maths at Grade C/4 must be one of the 2 GCSEs *CertHE Accounting: Maths at Grade C/4 must be one of the 2 GCSEs *CertHE Sports Performance: Maths at Grade C/4 must be one of the 2 GCSEs. Please note, that if accepted onto this programme of study, students will need to complete and secure an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) application.
BASED AT OUR OLD TRAFFORD CAMPUS
Old Trafford Campus
This is where our story began, back in 2019. The UA92 Campus is in the heart of Old Trafford, Manchester. Inside there’s a fully equipped Sports Performance Centre, Media Studio and Digital Academy. The tram stop is a 1 minute walk, which gets you into the heart of Manchester city-centre in under 10 minutes.
Brian Statham Way