BSc (Hons) Accelerated
Sept / Jan / Apr
*In line with the UA92 Contextual Admissions Policy, UA92 can accept below the 104 UCAS Points stated above. Alternatively, we have alternate course options that we can discuss with you.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
About the course
This Health, Exercise and Sport Accelerated degree course will develop your knowledge, skills and experience to support, improve and protect the long-term health and holistic well-being of individuals and communities. Also, you will gain an understanding of the psychological principles that lead to behaviour change and learn how to design and deliver a variety of health-based interventions for different population groups.
As a Health, Exercise and Sport professional, you can apply your knowledge and skills in several environments.
Potential career paths include community health activators, sport governing bodies, local council health promoters, education and well being champions, community outreach project leads, behaviour change practitioners, charities, research centres, academic institutions and rehabilitation centres.
What you will study
You will study a combination of health, exercise and sport modules including sport and exercise physiology, sports & exercise psychology, health and sport nutrition, physical activity, public health policies and health promotion. Giving you the knowledge, skills and experience you need to support, improve and protect the long-term health and holistic well-being of individuals and communities.
Further to this, you will also:
- Gain an understanding of the principles of, human anatomy and physiology, sports and exercise psychology and nutrition.
- Explore how exercise and sport can be used to encourage positive sustained lifestyle improvements or changes.
- Provide nutritional assessments and learn about the nature of common health conditions that may require dietary manipulations or adaptations.
- Understand common research methods and learn to form evidence-based perceptions of contemporary and emerging issues.
- Evaluate the policies and procedures that currently guide the public health landscapes, including locally and nationally.
HOW WILL YOU LEARN IT?
By studying the Health, Exercise and Sport Accelerated degree course, you’ll gain a solid foundation for your chosen career path. There’s a strong focus on providing practically applicable skills that employers within the industry need and value. As well as gaining both academic and practical experience, you will also be prepared to unlock your future career aspirations.
- Develop your understanding of the role and benefit of technology through use of our specialist multipurpose teaching zones (e.g., Performance Hub) and partner facilities.
- Your theoretical understanding will be enhanced by opportunities to learn, develop and demonstrate a wide range of practical and applied skills and competencies.
- You’ll work closely with our industry partners such as Manchester United and Salford City FC, who provide guest sessions, industry-based insight days and placements to UA92 students.
- No traditional end-of-year exams. Assessments will be practical and competency-based where possible* including individual and group work in a range of formats such as case studies, essays, reports, literature reviews, reflective logs and diaries, self and peer evaluations, audio/visual projects and presentations.
DEVELOP MORE THAN SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
UA92 provides you with more than just a degree, we aim to prepare you for life. Each academic year, in addition to your six subject modules, you’ll study an extra credit-bearing module, which focuses entirely on character and personal development.
- Take on a real-life project, based on a live scenario, set by one of our industry partners.
- Experience first-hand the current issues facing the industry
- Develop transferable skills and key competencies such as leadership, resilience and well-being, communication, problem-solving and team-working.
- Meet regularly with your own personal development coach.
HOW WILL YOU STUDY?
As a student on the two-year, Health, accelerated degree course your academic year is split into six blocks. Each study block is six weeks long, therefore your course will be delivered over a total of 36 weeks per year.
- In each block you will study just 1 subject module, allowing you to focus your learning. You’ll study topics in depth, often working in small groups with academic experts and advanced practitioners.
- We offer a straightforward AM/PM timetable. If you are a morning student your classes will be from 9am-1pm every weekday except Wednesdays. Afternoon students, classes will be from 2pm-6pm.
- Digital Wednesdays are your time to catch up on independent learning, assignments, projects or play for your UA92 sports team.
Introduction to Coaching Pedagogy and Practice
Introduction to Sports and Exercise Psychology
Nutrition for Health, Exercise and Sport
Introduction to Human Anatomy and Physiology
Physiological and Nutritional Demands of Human Activity
Sport and Exercise Psychology
Nutrition and Metabolism for Health, Exercise and Sport
Public Health and Policy
Health and Exercise Promotion
Advanced Nutrition for Health, Exercise and Sport
Contemporary Issues in Sport
Level 3 Entry Requirements (Degrees and Accelerated)
UCAS Points: 104
A Levels: BCC (104 equivalent)
BTEC National Extended Diploma: DMM
BTEC Diploma: D*D
T Levels: M
Scottish Advanced Highers: AB
IB: 28 points with 14 from Higher Level Subjects
IELTS: Overall score of 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5
Level 2 Entry Requirements (Degrees and Accelerated)
All degrees, other than those listed below*: 5 GCSEs at Grade C/4 or above including English Language and Maths at Grade C/4
Accepted Alternatives: Functional Skills Level 2 (English and Maths)
*Please note, that if accepted onto this programme of study, students will need to complete and secure an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) application.
Aged 19+ and Returning to Education?
Some qualifications do not carry UCAS Tariff points but may still be considered. We take into account a range of qualifications and work/life experience that can demonstrate your ability to succeed on the course. Each application is assessed on an individual basis, taking into consideration a wide range of factors.
Find out about our free 2-week course that will boost your confidence and help you prepare to return to higher education.
BASED AT OUR OLD TRAFFORD CAMPUS
Old Trafford Campus
This is where our story began, back in 2019. The UA92 Campus is in the heart of Old Trafford, Manchester. Inside there’s a fully equipped Sports Performance Centre, Media Studio and Digital Academy. The tram stop is a 1 minute walk, which gets you into the heart of Manchester city-centre in under 10 minutes.
UA92 Old Trafford Campus
Brian Statham Way