BSc (Hons) Accelerated
Jan 23 / Feb 23 / Apr 23 / Jun 23 | Sept 23 / Jan 24 / Apr 24
2022/23 / 2023/24
*In line with the UA92 Contextual Admissions Policy, UA92 can accept below the 104 UCAS Points stated above. Alternatively, we have alternate course options that we can discuss with you.
WHAT WILL YOU LEARN?
The Sports and Exercise Science Accelerated degree course will expose you to core foundations in Sport and Exercise Science including physiology, biomechanics and psychology. You will develop the knowledge and skills needed to support successful and sustainable improvements for sporting performance or health.
This course will prepare you for employment in sport, health, or exercise based professions, whether you dream of becoming a biomechanist, sports scientist, nutritionist, sports psychologist, exercise physiologist, or health and wellbeing practitioner.
- Understand the pillars of Sports and Exercise, namely; physiological, nutritional, biomechanical and psychological principles.
- Understand the components required to support successful and sustainable athletic development, across a range of sports and settings.
- Learn how to holistically and accurately monitor and support participants when attempting to improve their sporting performances and/or general health, or well-being.
- Develop relevant practical skills through the regular use of cutting-edge technologies in our specialist multipurpose teaching zones (e.g., Performance Hub).
- Broaden your critical thinking abilities and build your presentation skills, as you analyse and feedback on a range of contemporary topics.
- Learn how to effectively network (interact and engage) with a range of industry experts, including some of our partners like Manchester United and Lancashire Cricket Club.
HOW WILL YOU LEARN IT?
You will gain a solid foundation for your chosen career path, with a strong focus on providing practically applicable skills that employers within the industry need and value. With both academic and practical experience, you will be prepared to unlock your future career aspirations.
- Develop your understanding of the role and benefit of technology through use of our specialist multipurpose teaching zones (e.g., Performance Hub) and partner facilities.
- Your theoretical understanding will be enhanced by opportunities to learn, develop and demonstrate a wide range of practical and applied skills and competencies.
- You’ll work closely with our industry partners such as Manchester United and Salford City FC, who provide guest sessions, industry-based insight days and placements to UA92 students.
- No traditional end-of-year exams. Assessments will be practical and competency-based where possible* including individual and group work in a range of formats such as case studies, essays, reports, literature reviews, reflective logs and diaries, self and peer evaluations, audio/visual projects and presentations.
DEVELOP MORE THAN SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
UA92 provides you with more than just a degree, we aim to prepare you for life. Each academic year, in addition to your four subject modules, you’ll study an extra credit-bearing module, which focuses entirely on character and personal development.
- Take on a real-life project, based on a live scenario, set by one of our industry partners.
- Experience first-hand the current issues facing the industry
- Develop transferable skills and key competencies such as leadership, resilience and well-being, communication, problem-solving and team-working.
- Meet regularly with your own personal development coach.
HOW WILL YOU STUDY?
As a student on the two-year, accelerated degree course your academic year is split into six blocks. Each study block is six weeks long, therefore your course will be delivered over a total of 36 weeks per year.
- In each block you will study just 1 subject module, allowing you to focus your learning. You’ll study topics in depth, often working in small groups with academic experts and advanced practitioners.
- We offer a straightforward AM/PM timetable. If you are a morning student your classes will be from 9am-1pm every weekday except Wednesdays. Afternoon students, classes will be from 2pm-6pm.
- Digital Wednesdays are your time to catch up on independent learning, assignments, projects or play for your UA92 sports team.
Human Anatomy and Physiology
Introduction to Sports and Exercise Psychology
Introduction to Coaching Theory and Practice
Anatomy and Biomechanics of Sport and Exercise
Physiology of Human Activity
Sport and Exercise Psychology
Science and Practice of Coaching
Contemporary Issues in Sports and Exercise Science
Human Movement and Performance
Strength and Conditioning
Level 3 Entry Requirements (Degrees and Accelerated)
UCAS Points: 104
A Levels: BCC (104 equivalent)
BTEC National Extended Diploma: DMM
BTEC Diploma: D*D
T Levels: M
Scottish Advanced Highers: AB
IB: 28 points with 14 from Higher Level Subjects
IELTS: Overall score of 6.0, with no section lower than 5.5
Level 2 Entry Requirements (Degrees and Accelerated)
All degrees, other than those listed below*: 5 GCSEs at Grade C/4 or above including English Language and Maths at Grade C/4
Accepted Alternatives: Functional Skills Level 2 (English and Maths)
*Please note, that if accepted onto this programme of study, students will need to complete and secure an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) application.